Happy October! This month I’m celebrating my favorite holiday with all the creepy reads and Halloween-themed posts. I’ve made an effort over the last few years to pick up spooky reads during the month of October and I’ve ended up reading some really great picks (and a few duds if I’m honest). For this post, I’m listing ten of my favorite reads from Octobers past. Covers are linked to Goodreads.
1. The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle – If I could read one book every October, it would be this one. It’s atmospheric and eerie and you spend the majority of the book not quite sure what to make of it. It also takes place during the month of October which is just perfect.
2. Slasher Girls & Monster Boys, Edited by April Genevieve Tucholke – I don’t read anthologies often, but if there were more horror ones featuring my favorite authors, I’d be more likely to check them out. I really liked this collection and it got me curious about several authors I wasn’t familiar with.
3. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz, Illustrated by Stephen Gammell – I picked this one up and its sequel one year for nostalgic purposes. This used to be one of my favorite books as a kid and those illustrations are beyond haunting. I can’t believe we are finally getting an adaptation. Someone pinch me.
4. Bad Blood by Jennifer Lynn Barnes – It took me a while to finally pick up the conclusion to this thriller series and I’m going to miss this ensemble a lot. I’d really like to see more mysteries in YA like this one, with smart characters and terrifying villains.
5. Penpal by Dathan Auerbach – I bought the ebook of this one on a whim and I’m so glad I did. It’s one of the few reads that has actually given me the chills. Also, I now think penpals are a terrible idea.
6. Through the Woods by Emily Carroll – I’m still a graphic novel reading newbie. I just discovered the horror and graphic novel combination and I think this is my sweet spot. The illustrations in this one are fantastic and the stories just eerie enough to make you sit up.
7. The Hollow Girl by Hillary Monahan – I wasn’t sure what we would get with this one as it’s about witches and a rape survivor, but I thought it was incredibly empowering and Gran will forever be one of the fieriest characters I’ve read.
8. A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis – I remember reading this when I was going through a slump, but it still managed to really impress me. I loved how dark this one was and I am still in search of a novel like it.
9. Hunting Prince Dracula by Kerri Manscalco – I’m so glad I picked this one up during October. The setting and mystery really fit the bill. Audrey Rose and Thomas remain one of my favorite duos.
10. The Merciless II: The Exorcism of Sofia Flores by Danielle Vega – This sequel really surprised me as I just thought the first novel was just okay. This one was ten times more horrifying and why oh why don’t we have more horror novels in YA? I feel like there’s an untapped market for it.
Do you read horror novels during the month of October? Do you have any favorites you’ve picked up over the years? Let’s talk in the comments.