The end of the second quarter of this year came at me fast. I was originally going to post this book haul a couple of days ago, but forgot to snap a few pictures in time. I did not expect to end up with so many books this time around. I actually thought I had been strict with my book buying, but it feels like preorders have been showing up left and right. In my defense, many of these preorders were placed several months ago. That being said, I’m going to restrict my book buying these next couple of months, so unless I throw caution to the wind come September, my next quarter book haul should be pretty small. Click any image below to enlarge. Title are linked to Goodreads.
1. Now I Rise by Kiersten White – And I Darken really surprised me and Lada is a character you won’t soon forget, so buying the sequel was a no brainer.
2. Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh – I had to buy this one because of my love for the author’s previous work The Wrath and the Dawn. I have read this one and…well, you’ll see my thoughts soon.
3. Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab – This was an automatic purchase because I apparently can’t go very long without buying books from this author. I haven’t read this one yet, so no spoilers please!
4. Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett – I’m so glad I went ahead and bought this one after seeing so many bloggers recommend it. It’s such a cute novel.
5. The Fallen Kingdom by Elizabeth May – I simply had to have this final book in The Falconer series. I’m a little afraid to pick this one up as I’ve been told to guard my heart.
6. Given to the Sea by Mindy McGinnis – I don’t DNF books that I buy. It’s just so hard to do so when I’ve spent money on a book. Unfortunately, this is what I did with this one. I could not get into it and I just know I’ll end up giving it a really low rating. It’s just sitting on my shelf right now, but I have no intention of reading it. I might do a giveaway or something.
7. When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore – This book is one of the most beautiful books I’ve ever read. I picked up a library copy, but knew I needed to own it, so I could fawn over the beautiful writing.
8. Burn Baby Burn by Meg Medina – Another book I read a library copy of that I knew I needed in my life. This one is highly underrated, so if you haven’t picked it up, please do so.
9. Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke – This is a novel that I’ve been wanting for a long while, so I ended up preordering the paperback version of it.
10. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz – I listened to the audiobook of this one earlier in the year, but want to read a physical copy this summer.
11. The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente – I bought this as a little gift to myself for my birthday in May. The first book was so good and it’s been a while since I’ve been so enchanted by a middle grade series.
12. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch – I feel like this novel has been on my TBR forever. I finally have a copy on my shelf, so hopefully I can get to it soon.
13. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz – I bought this on a whim. Magical realism is kind of my weakness, so how could I resist?
14. The Mystery of Hollow Places by Rebecca Podos – I haven’t seen too many bloggers talk about this one, but I got such a good deal on it.
15. The Women in the Walls by Amy Lukavics – For someone who loves scary stories, I do not pick up enough horror books (I usually have a horror-themed TBR for October, but rarely pick up the genre any other time of year). I got this one used as well and am not sure I’ll be able to wait until October to pick it up.
16. The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May – I actually read an eARC of this one way back last year and finally got my hands on a copy of it. I’ve had it my cart for long while, waiting for the price to drop.
Gifts + Giveaways:
17. Library of Souls by Random Riggs – As part of Armchair Book Expo, I won this book from Quirk Books. It actually completes my collection of this series, so I have no excuse for finally reading the last two books.
18. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay by J.K. Rowling – My nine-year-old nephew picked this book for me for my birthday. Isn’t that cute?
19. Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller – I have been wanting to read this book since its release, but my library hold never came in. I won this from Alissa @ A Book Blog over on Tumblr and am so excited to finally read it.
20. When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandya Manon – I haven’t read this one yet, but I really really want to (I need more time in the day). I won this over on Twitter from Sarah @ The Book Traveler and may have jumped up and down when I found out.
21. Shame the Stars by Guadalupe Garcia McCall – I was lucky enough to win this one from Rich in Color. I haven’t seen one review of this one in the blogosphere, so I aim to change that.
When was the last time you put yourself on a book buying ban? Have you read any of the titles I’ve purchased? Leave a link to your own recent book haul post in the comments and I’ll visit!