This is slightly early because I am going on hiatus in July, which is when I would typically post this. I…have no excuses this time around. Yes, some of these were birthday gifts or bought with birthday gift cards, but more than a few purchases were me just splurging. This time I absolutely guarantee my next haul will be much smaller. Let’s get to the books. Titles aren’t linked to Goodreads this time around because my brain has already gone on hiatus and I am barely surviving here.
Preorders and New Releases:
1. Love from A to Z by S.K. Ali – Of course I preordered this sophomore novel by S.K. Ali. I ended up reading an ARC only a few days before the release and didn’t cancel my preorder, which is how you know I loved it.
2. There’s Something About Sweetie by Sandhya Menon – I just did a buddy read of this one and may I just say, no set of books by a single author has made me smile as much as Sandhya Menon’s.
3. Somewhere Only We Know by Maurene Goo – I haven’t had a chance to read this one yet, but I love Roman Holiday, which this is inspired by, so I am really looking forward to it.
4. Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson – Even before I read an eARC of this one, I had a pretty good idea that I was going to end up preordering it. It’s so good and the hardcover is so beautiful in person.
5. We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal – I started this one, but ended up in a slump. I will return to it soon though. I preordered the Barnes & Noble exclusive edition and it’s so lovely.
6. Nocturna by Maya Motayne – This came out on my birthday and is a Latinx-based fantasy which means it was destiny for me to preorder. It was also really good and I need book two NOW.
7. Don’t Date Rosa Santos by Nina Moreno – I just want all of the contemporaries starring Latinx characters. This is my favorite book so far this year and I will be throwing my money at any book Nina Moreno writes.
8. With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo – I am kind of ashamed that I haven’t gotten to this one yet, but it is seriously the most beautiful book. Have you seen the naked hardback? I just about fainted the first time I saw it.
9. The Tiger at Midnight by Swati Teerdhala – This was a b-day gift and although I didn’t love it, I found it still to be an enjoyable read.
10. Let’s Talk About Love by Claire Kann – I’ve included this in the new/preorder section because I ended up preordering the paperback. I haven’t read it yet, but I’ve heard so many good things about this contemporary starring a black asexual MC.
11. Storm of Locusts by Rebecca Roanhorse – I’ve had this one preordered for months and I absolutely loved this sequel. I don’t know when we will be getting the third book but I am already ready.
12. Ayesha at Last by Uzma Jalaluddin – Ah, I had to preorder this P&P retelling and it was such a sweet read. I need more books like this in my life.
I Gave In to Temptation Purchases:
13. Aru Shah and the End of Time by Roshani Chokshi – I still haven’t read this one and I am ashamed. I love Roshani Chokshi, so I have no excuse. Now that I own it, I really have no excuse.
14. The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang – Is there anyone who doesn’t like this book? I was in B&N one day with a coupon in hand and could not resist.
15. They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera – I blame everyone on Twitter for this one. I wasn’t planning on buying it, but it was a really great price, so I set up a poll and everyone told me to get it. This one is on all of you.
16. Descendant of the Crane by Joan He – This is another b-day gift, so I didn’t spend money on it, but I’ve heard a lot of good things and the cover is just so lovely.
Giveaways and Publisher Sent:
17. Hope Is Our Only Wing by Rutendo Tavengerwei – I haven’t heard of this one, but Soho Press sent it to me and it looks like it has a publication date in September by Soho Teen. This is literally the extent of my knowledge.
18. Diamond City by Francesca Flores – I was one of the lucky winners of Francesca Flores’s Twitter giveaway. This fantasy doesn’t come out until 2020, but I am so excited to dive into the ARC.
19. Love from A to Z by S.K. Ali – I received this ARC literally a week before its release from the publisher. I was offered it and I could not resist.
20. All of Us With Wings by Michelle Ruiz Keil – Soho Press also sent me a finished copy of this one. It’s the first time a publisher has ever sent me a finished copy of anything. Not going to lie, I feel a little special.
21. Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand – I won this one from Angela @ Musings of a Literary Wanderer for her blogiversary. I haven’t read it yet, but the cover gets me every time.
22. Symptoms of a Heartbreak by Sona Charaipotra – I won an ARC of this one from Cake Literary on Twitter. It just came in the mail and I’ve been struggling with a reading slump and kind of craving something more contemporary, so I think this will be my next read. You might have to wait for a review of it until after my hiatus though.
A Few Stragglers:
23. The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend – I had a coupon that was going to expire, you see, and everyone has been praising this one left and right, you see, and I found myself at B&N and had to use said coupon, you see.
24. The Grief Keeper by Alexandra Villasante – I am really excited about this debut that tackles immigration with sisters at its center.
25. Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno – I can’t count the number of times I’ve been recommended this author and I’ve been waiting for it to come back in stock on Book Outlet and it finally did.
26. Summer Bird Blue by Akemi Dawn Bowman – Another Book Outlet purchase. I really enjoyed Starfish by this author and feel like I’m behind on her books because I waited so long to read it. Hopefully I can get to this one before her next release.
Do I have a problem? I’m kidding, don’t answer that. What’s the last book you bought? Do you splurge on books for your b-day? Let’s talk in the comments.