Top Ten Tuesday is an original blog meme created by The Broke and the Bookish and is currently being hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week’s topic is “Characters I’d Love An Update On.” I am basically doing the opposite of what this topic is asking for this week. Instead of listing books whose characters I want an update on, this is a list of sequels that I’ve been avoiding because I am nervous/scared for what the authors have in store. This might have been a terrible idea because while compiling this list, I am becoming aware of just how many series I have yet to finish. Yikes. Covers linked to Goodreads.
1. Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta – I am embarrassed by how long I’ve had this sequel on my shelf. I actually own all three books in this series, but have only read Finnikin of the Rock. I think I may be afraid that it isn’t as good as I remember it to be.
2. Now I Rise by Kiersten White – I loved reading about Lada’s descent into darkness in And I Darken, but it is Radu’s story that has me nervous. I just don’t want to see him suffer and so I have avoided this one.
3. The Dark Days Deceit by Alison Goodman – I absolutely should finish this final book in the series, but the ending of the second book was so heartbreaking for Lady Helen and me too!
4. Capturing the Devil by Kerri Maniscalo – I think I might have lost interest in this series which is why I haven’t finished the final book. The third novel was a bit of a letdown and I find myself wondering if I still care enough about these characters to pick this one up or if I should just let it go.
5. Stormsong by C.L. Polk – I absolutely adored Witchmark, but I have a bone to pick with Grace and am therefore a little hesitant to pick up this sequel where she is the protagonist.
6. The Empire of Gold by S.A. Chakraborty – I have heard things that have made me question whether picking up this final book is a good idea. The second book had me suffering enough.
7. Misfit in Love by S.K. Ali – Saint and Misfits is one of my favorite novels and I think I am afraid of my own expectations for this sequel.
8. The Empire of Dreams by Rae Carson – I am always a little wary when authors return to worlds years later to continue more stories. Sometimes I feel like we should let those worlds alone, you know?
9. The Bronzed Beasts by Roshani Chokshi – Of course I am avoiding this one. I just know Roshani Chokshi is going to tear my heart out. The question is will she piece it back together?
10. Our Violent Ends by Chloe Gong – This is literally a Romeo and Juliet retelling. Of course I’m afraid of its ending.Have you read any of these? Which sequels are you avoiding? Let me know in the comments and be sure to leave me a link to your own TTT post, so I can visit!