It’s been a long time since I’ve made a lengthy book list and since summer is upon us, I thought I would make a list of my most anticipated releases. I am not fool enough to call this a TBR, but these are definitely titles I will be checking out between now and the end of the year (and probably beyond if we are honest). Covers are linked to Goodreads.
1. Witchshadow by Susan Dennard – The fourth book in Dennard’s Witchlands’ series is out this summer. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this fantasy series and honestly don’t even know how many books there will be, but I am not complaining. It’s a series that has gotten better with each book.
2. Gearbreakers by Zoe Hana Mikuta – Gods. Mechas. Found Family. Enemies to Lovers. Sapphic. There are so many amazing things about this one, it’s almost overwhelming.
3. The Return of the Sorceress by Silvia Moreno-Garcia – You know I’ll read anything by SMG and I’ve been craving more fantasy by her. Side note, the fact that a physical copy of this book is $40 is a crime personally against me and my cheap self is going to purchase the ebook through all the tears.
4. Rise of the Sun by Leah Johnson – I loved Leah Johnson’s debut, You Should See Me in a Crown, so am very excited for her second book. And is it just me or does the girl in the hat on this cover remind anyone else of Flynn from Julie and the Phantoms?
5. Muse Squad: Mystery of the Tenth by Chantel Acevedo – I am part of an upcoming tour for this book and just finished the first book earlier this month. It really renewed my love of middle grade which I have not picked up enough of this year.
6. The Taking of Jake Livingston by Ryan Douglas – More YA horror by BIPOC. More YA horror by BIPOC. More YA horror by BIPOC. This is my number one bookish wish, so naturally I am stoked for this one and the cover is just so creepily good.
7. She Who Became the Sun by Shelley Parker-Chan – So the only things I know about this one is that it’s an adult fantasy and that it’s sapphic. And yet, that is enough to add it to my TBR.
8. Like a Love Song by Gabriela Martins – Fake Dating!!! Literally all you and I need to know.
9. The Wild Ones by Nafiza Azad – I love how unique this one sounds. I feel like we don’t get enough YA with all-girl casts.
10. How Moon Fuentez Fell in Love with the Universe by Raquel Vasquez Gilliland – I still haven’t read this author’s debut but it doesn’t make me want to read this one any less.
11. Cazadora by Romina Garber – I am just in awe of the covers for these books. I hope this one is just as unique and fun as Lobizona.
12. Velvet Was the Night by Silvia Moreno-Garcia – More SMG because why not? I have an ARC of this historical fiction/noir. Definitely a genre I don’t read a lot of, but it’s SMG.
13. How We Fall Apart by Katie Zhao – More YA thrillers like this may make me pick up more of the genre.
14. Redemptor by Jordan Ifueko – Raybearer is unlike anything I’ve ever read and I am really interested to see where this sequel takes us.
15. Bad Witch Burning by Jessica Lewis – One of my most anticipated 2021 debuts. Love the premise of this one where a girl monetizes her ability to talk to the dead only to accidentally raises someone from the dead.
16. My Heart Is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones – SGJ’s The Only Good Indians is seared into my brain. I have a long list of adult horror that I need to pick up including more by this author.
17. The All-Consuming World by Cassandra Khaw – Is this sci-fi? Is this horror? Is this sci-fi horror?! I don’t even know and I don’t even care, it sounds amazing.
18. The Inheritance of Orquídea Divina by Zoraida Córdova – Zoraida Córdova has such a rich body of work and I have no doubt this will introduce more readers to her amazing storytelling ability.
19. White Smoke by Tiffany D. Jackson – I have loved and also been emotionally wounded by every Tiffany D. Jackson novel. I would probably describe them to be more thriller, but the fact that this is one being marketed as horror has me beyond excited.
20. The Bronzed Beasts by Roshani Chokshi – Roshani Chokshi nearly killed me with The Silvered Serpents and at some point, I will reread it before she probably kills me with this final book in The Gilded Wolves series.Are any of these on your TBR? What’s a summer 2021 release that I don’t have on my list that you are excited for?