Top Ten Tuesday is an original blog meme created by The Broke and the Bookish and is currently being hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week’s topic is “My Ten Most Recent Reads.” I have not read a ton of books this year and it’s something I’m kind of sad about. I feel like I am missing out on so many books because I am not picking up much. But I am hoping to read more starting this month. I’ve enjoyed pretty much everything I’ve picked up so far this year, so that’s something to celebrate. Covers are linked to Goodreads.
If you are able, please consider donating to Trans Lifeline here, an organization dedicated to providing both emotional and financial support to the trans community.
1. Oculta by Maya Motayne – This is my most recent read. It’s the sequel to Nocturna and oh my gosh, I hope I don’t have to wait too long for the next book because the ending for this one took me out. If you enjoy fantasy that delves into colonization, you need to pick up this series.
2. Act Your Age, Eve Brown by Talia Hibbert – I needed a book that would make me feel happy after reading the some pretty heavy books and Talia Hibbert did not disappoint. It was the perfect swoony read.
3. The Mirror Season by Anna-Marie McLemore – Anna-Marie McLemore’s novels are always heartbreaking and hopeful all at once. The Mirror Season is no exception, but out of all their books, it was probably the most difficult to read as it deals with sexual assault in such an unflinching way.
4. One of the Good Ones by Maika Moulite and Maritza Moulite – This was an incredible read about police brutality, sisters, and grief. You know those books that are just so good that you have to put them down just so you can take a breath? This is one of those books.
5. The Midnight Bargain by C.L. Polk – I really want to read Witchmark, but started with this one because it sounded like the perfect fantasy romance, but unfortunately, it didn’t quite live up to all my expectations.
6. Once Upon a Quinceañera by Monica Gomez-Hira – I didn’t love this one as much as I hoped, but I can see contemporary fans gobbling this one up.
7. Hide and Seeker by Daka Hermon – This was such a great horror MG. I am so glad to see Daka Hermon got another horror book deal because she does horror so well. I’m going to need to see this one turned into a movie.
8. You Should See Me in a Crown by Leah Johnson – I should have picked up this charming read sooner. I absolutely loved Liz and her story. If you are looking for a feel good, sapphic contemporary, look no further than this one.
9. Grown by Tiffany D. Jackson – Nobody rips the rug out from under me like Tiffany D. Jackson. Every novel I have read from her has left a lasting impression. I have never been so angry reading a book and so justified in relishing a character’s death.
10. Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko – Unique magical systems, found family, and a protagonist who creates her own destiny, Raybearer is a must read for fantasy readers.Have you read any of these? Let me know in the comments and be sure to leave me a link to your own TTT post, so I can visit!