Top Ten Tuesday is an original blog meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. and is currently being hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week’s topic is “Changes In My Reading Life.” I love this week’s topic. A few of these habits have fluctuated one way or another. I kind of love that even though I love a certain genre right now that doesn’t mean I won’t love a different genre with the same kind of fervor or that I won’t return to the first genre of my heart. Sometimes my reading habits change because I change and other times they change because of circumstances, but I still have a big passion for books and I can’t see that changing anytime soon.
1. I read just as many contemporaries as I do fantasy – When I first started blogging, I would say my favorite genre was without a doubt fantasy and while I would probably still argue this, in recent years I’ve renewed by love for contemporaries. Now I’m just as likely to reach for a contemporary as a fantasy novel.
2. I read less – I’ve been on Goodreads for a few years now and you can see how my reading goal and final count has trended down. I feel like I’m in a really good place though. I’m not reading a hundred titles, but I am almost enjoying everything I’ve picked up and not stressing when it comes to numbers.
3. I read more enjoyable books – Maybe it’s because I’m just picking up more diverse titles that are consistently more enjoyable, or I’m more likely to put down a book I’m not enjoying, or I’m more picky with what I pick up because I know I only have so much time to read, but my average rating is much higher now than it’s been in years.
4. I joined social media – Before I started blogging, I wasn’t on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, but now I am on Twitter and IG. I never pictured myself as someone who’d be invested in these platforms, but I don’t think I could live without Twitter.
5. I enjoy giving books away – I used to buy books and keep them because I wanted a big library, but as more time passes (and the less space I have), the easier it’s been for me to unhaul books. I would rather my personal library be about books I love rather than quantity.
Have you started reading less over the years? Do you find yourself being more discriminatory when it comes to which books you pick up? Let me hear from you in the comments and be sure to leave me a link to your own TTT post!