This post is a tiny bit late, but you’ll forgive me, right? Instead of trying to figure out exactly which books I bought over the last three months, I have a section of my bookshelf where I put them aside as I buy them. When it comes time to do a book haul, I take them down, snap pics, and then take on the grueling (but enjoyable) task of adding them to my bookshelf (I alphabetize by author, btw). So when it came time to do this quarter’s haul, I glanced over and was stunned that I had accumulated so many books! But as the title says, in my defense, the vast majority of these books were purchases using gift cards. I promise that next quarter will be much smaller. Much. On to the books! Titles linked to Goodreads.
Preorders and New Releases:
1. The Wicked King by Holly Black – How could I resist a preorder of this sequel after the way the first novel ended? I did a buddy read with this one like the day after its release, I was so eager. It was fantastic by the way and I am already planning to preorder the third novel.
2. The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi – I ended up reading an ARC of this one, but had already preordered this one. It is so pretty in person. Hopefully I can squeeze in a reread of this before the sequel comes out next year.
3. The Kingdom of Copper by S.A. Chakraborty – I didn’t have any definitive plans to buy this one right away, but I got a really good deal on it, so I jumped at the opportunity. I still haven’t gotten to this one, but hopefully soon.
4. Courting Darkness by Robin LaFevers – I wanted to wait for early reviews of this one because I wasn’t sure I wanted to pick it up considering how much I loved the original series. I’m always apprehensive about spinoffs. But I also got a really good deal on this one and oh my gosh, it’s so beautiful in person. I reread the original trilogy in anticipation, but still haven’t gotten around to it. The guilt!
5. On the Come Up by Angie Thomas – Why haven’t I read this one yet? I have no excuse for not picking up Thomas’ sophomore novel. Hopefully I can have time to do so this summer.
6. Bloodwitch by Susan Dennard – Of course I preordered this third book in the series. Also plan a reread of this one before we get the fourth book.
7. The Moon Within by Aida Salazar – I had the pleasure of reading an ARC of this one and completely fell in love. I also think Aida Salazar is one of the sweetest authors, so I absolutely had to support her with a preorder of this one.
8. We Set the Dark on Fire by Tehlor Kay Mejia – This book was wonderful and one of the few book purchases I got to almost right away. If you are hesitating to pick this one up, don’t!
9. The Everlasting Rose by Dhonielle Clayton – I preordered this one and am still so much in love with Clayton’s writing. I can’t wait to see what she puts out next.
10. Internment by Samira Ahmed – I am so glad that this one ended up on the New York Times Bestseller’s List. I haven’t gotten to it, but I have it.
11. The True Queen by Zen Cho – I needed this hardcover edition because I have the hardcover of the first and it is one of my favorite books. It’s so pretty in person. I will read this soon!
Books I Wanted Just Because:
12. Empire of Sand by Tasha Suri – This was my first book purchase of the year. It was my finally read of 2018 and I absolutely loved it.
13. Mirage by Somaiya Daud – I really enjoyed this novel and as soon as I got a good deal on it, I pounced on it. I need more books in general to be purple. This one is so pretty.
14. Pitch Dark by Courtney Alameda – I love this one so much and have been waiting for the paperback of it to come out. I finally have it and am excited for a reread.
15. The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black – After reading The Cruel Prince and The Wicked King, I knew I wanted to read more Holly Black. I picked this one because I’ve seen lots of bloggers praise it. I’m really curious to see what I think of it.
A Giveaway and ARCs:
17. All of Us with Wings by Michelle Ruiz Keil – I was sent this by the publisher and I’m so excited to get to it. I literally fell off my bed when I read I had been approved for it. Literally.
18. Don’t Date Rosa Santos by Nina Moreno – The wonderful, the incomparable Morgan @ The Bookish Beagle made all my dreams come true when she offered to send me this ARC. I was so sad when I was rejected on NetGalley, but I am so in love. I am currently reading this and I do not want it to end.
Latinx Book Club: April’s Book Club Pick
19. The Storm Runner by J.C. Cervantes – I wasn’t originally planning to purchase this one, but I had a little bit left over on a gift card and since we were going to pick it up for the Latinx Book Club, I thought, why the heck not?
How do you keep track of your book purchases before doing a book haul post? What book purchase have you made in the last three months that you’re really excited about? Let’s talk in the comments!