Top Ten Tuesday is an original blog meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. and is currently being hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week’s topic is “Things That Make Me Want to Pick Up a Book.” This was a really hard list to put together. I think I know what I like, but when I sat down to write this list, it was incredibly difficult to be really specific. I’m sure on a different day, I’d have a completely different list for you.
1. I’ve Enjoyed the Author in the Past – Is this cheating? I feel like this might be cheating, but there are certain number of authors who have never let me down and I intend to pick up every book from them.
2. Magical Realism – Why is this genre so underrated? I love the way magical realism makes me feel. The atmosphere, the writing, all those magical possibilities.
3. Enemies to Lovers – Perhaps my favorite romantic trope. The perfect romance to me is one that contains this trope coupled with the slow burn. I fall for it every time.
4. PoC Front in Center in a Contemporary Novel – I want to read all the contemporary novels with PoC MCs. The vast majority of the contemporaries I pick up these days feature PoC leads.
5. Stellar Casts – I love when books are able to showcase more than one character. Some of my favorite books feature amazing ensembles.
6. Latinx-Based Fantasy – I see a lot of urban-based fantasy series with Latinx influences, but I perk up immediately if it’s Latinx-inspired high-fantasy.
7. Assassins – I haven’t read a new book about assassins lately, but I still love them. I know a lot of people think assassins are overplayed, but I actually haven’t had a ton of luck with these books. I’m always on the lookout for more assassin books.
8. Witches – I don’t think I will ever tire of witches. I love them in all settings, in all time-periods, and in any form. Good. Bad. Somewhere in between. I love it.
9. Banter – Next to enemies to lovers, I also love romance with great banter. Witty remarks flying all over the place is such fun.
10. Antiheroes – I suspect a lot of us enjoy antiheroes. I love exploring grey characters and appreciate authors pushing certain types of characters to their limits, seeing them compromise on their morals, and seeing what becomes of them as a result.
Do these also make you want to pick up a book? Do you have any recommendations for me based on these? Let me know in the comments and be sure to leave me a link to your own TTT post, so I can visit.