Top Ten Tuesday is an original blog meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. and is currently being hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week’s topic is “Most Anticipated Releases for the First Half of 2019.” Could there be a more difficult topic? I just know that this year is going to be amazing in terms of book releases. To simplify this for myself, I am going to name ten first-half 2019 releases by Latinx authors I am excited for. I hope you add these to your TBR if you haven’t already. Covers are linked to Goodreads.
1. A Sprinkle of Spirits by Anna Meriano – Release Date: February 5th 2019 – I was so delighted with A Dash of Trouble, this author’s middle grade debut, that featured the mischief that follows when eleven-year-old Leo discovers she, along with the other women in her family, are witches. I can’t wait for more with this sequel.
2. We Set the Dark on Fire by Tehlor Kay Mejia – Release Date: February 26th 2019 – This might be my most anticipated 2019 debut. I don’t know all the details surrounding this one, but I’ve heard it deals with immigration, class privilege, and features a f/f romance. I’ve already preordered this one.
3. The Moon Within by Aida Salazar – Release Date : February 26th 2019 – Another middle grade novel I’m eagerly anticipating and the first one I’ve come across that deals with periods. I would have been so happy to have had this one as a young girl. I’m hoping to gift this one to my niece at some point. I hope this one sparks more open discussions around periods especially in the Latinx community.
4. The Last 8 by Laura Pohl – Release Date: March 1st – It’s been a while since a science-fiction novel made me this excited. This one is a survival story that involves an alien invasion and a spaceship. I have an eARC of this one that I will also be reading soon.
5. Dealing in Dreams by Lilliam Rivera – Release Date: March 5th 2019 – I was really impressed with Lilliam Rivera’s debut The Education of Margot Sanchez and am stoked about this sophomore novel. It goes in a completely different direction than her first novel, taking place in a dystopian world and features an all-girl gang. I was so happy when I was approved on NetGalley for this one. You might have heard me scream in delight.
6. Sabrina & Corina: Stories by Kali Fajardo-Anstine – Release Date: April 2nd 2019 – I really want to check out more short story collections this year and this one centers Indigenous Latina voices.
7. With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo – Release Date: May 7th 2019 – The Poet X was one of my favorite reads last year and I am so excited for more from Elizabeth Acevedo. This one features a pregnant teen girl who finds refuge in cooking. It also comes out on my birthday which means if no one buys it for me, I will just have to buy it for myself.
8. Nocturna by Maya Motayne – Release Date: May 7th 2019 – This is the fantasy novel I’ve been waiting for for so long. It’s a Dominican-based fantasy with mobsters and magic. I need this one now. No cover yet for this one, so title is linked to Goodreads.
9. Don’t Date Rosa Santos by Nina Moreno – Release Date: May 14th 2019 – I think this is my most anticipated contemporary debut of 2019. I feel like this one could be really special. It’s about first love and curses and I’m already in agony over it. I’m just waiting for the day my request for this one from NetGalley will be rejected. I will need a shoulder to cry on.
10. Five Midnight by Ann Dávila Cardinal – Release Date: June 4th 2019 – Yes to all the horror novels that feature Latinx characters and myths. This one is full of murder and monsters and I am salivating just thinking about it.
Are any of these also on your TBR? Is there a book by a Latinx author being released January-June 2019 that you are particularly excited about? Let me know in the comments and be sure to leave me a link to your own TTT post, so I can visit.