I feel like the end of 2018 just rushed by. I resisted about three different Book Outlet sales and a myriad of Barnes & Nobles coupons during the last couple of months of the year. I’m so proud of myself, I may buy a book in celebration. Or is that too counter-productive? I only bought six books in the last three months which is the least amount I’ve purchased in a quarter this year. I did, however, end up with a few more books because of some very generous people. I’m hoping to show just as much self-control next quarter, but have you seen all the new releases coming out?! I recently made a list of books I want to preorder (I might do a post), and there are tons!!!! It will be a true test of self-control. Alright, let’s get to the books already.
Books I Bought:
1. Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan – I got a really good deal on this one from Barnes & Noble, but am a little sad I didn’t get to read it before the end of the year. Hopefully I can find time this month or next.
2. For a Muse of Fire by Heidi Heilig – I’ve heard nothing but good things about this novel which deals with both mental health and colonization in a fantasy setting. How cool is that? Still haven’t read it though.
3. Blanca & Roja by Anna-Marie McLemore – I preordered this one because of course I preordered this one. Anna-Marie McLemore continues to astound with her storytelling ability. I swear, she infuses her books with some kind of magic.
4. Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse – You may recall that this was my favorite read of 2018. I think it was like two days after I finished my library copy that I purchased this one for myself. Read it if you haven’t already.
5. Not Even Bones by Rebecca Schaeffer – I bought this one solely on the recommendation of other bloggers and am glad I did. It was one of the best books I read in October when I was reaching for the creepy and spooky reads.
6. Things We Lost in the Fire by Mariana Enríquez – I’ve been really curious about this short-story collection, but couldn’t find it at my library and it was so expensive to buy on Amazon. I ended up purchasing this little edition of it from Book Depository.
ARCs + Author-Sent:
7. Bloodwitch by Susan Dennard – The lovely, generous, kind-hearted Amber Elise @ Du Livre sent me this ARC because she saw how excited I was about it. I am planning a quick reread of the first two books before diving into this one.
8. Unmarriageable by Soniah Kamal – This is a P&P retelling that takes place in Pakistan. I was the lucky winner of a Goodreads giveaway for an ARC of this one. I’m not sure I will have time to read it before the release, but I will try to get to it soon.
9. & 10. Suffer the Children and One of Us by Craig DiLouie – I mentioned in a past post that I wanted to read the former novel, but couldn’t get my hands on a copy. Imagine my surprise when the author reached out to me and asked if I’d like a copy of his two novels. Both of these sounds so eerie and I cannot wait to read them.
11. Jade City by Fonda Lee – After not so subtly providing a list of books I wouldn’t mind finding under the Christmas tree, I ended up with these final three books to close out 2018. I’m really excited about this fantasy book and got a real thrill out of how big this one was. I feel like I need to pick up more big books in 2019.
12. Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Marie Machado – Yes, I’m so happy I own a copy of this short-story collection. I cannot wait to read these stories again.
13. Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven by Marjorie M. Liu, Illustrated by Sana Takeda – I finally got my hands on the third volume of this amazing graphic novel series. I cannot wait to crack it open.
And there you have it! Have you read any of these? Any I need to get to right away? Which books were you gifted this holiday season? Let’s talk in the comments!
24 thoughts on “2018 Fourth Quarter Book Haul: Is This Self-Control?”
Starting 2019 with a Goodreads giveaway win is an omen. This will be a good year for you.
Blanca y Roja is on my TBR and I am so excited to get to it! Great haul!
I’ve heard so many good things about Girls of Paper and Fire!, I hope you enjoy all these books darling 😍😊
SO. MANY. PRETTIES. I don’t even know where to start?! Swoon. Also, I love how we all are like, “Gonna get on that self control.” and then release that is definitely not going to work to its full potential because SO MANY NEW BOOKS COMING OUT SOON. Which is 100% a valid reason I promise.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Fantastic haul! There are so many books you mentioned that I really want to read! I hope you’ll enjoy them all!
Have a wonderful week!
These are all new to me!
I need to restart Monstress. I definitely started reading it at some point, but it’s been so long..comics/graphic novels are the hobby that gets left behind most of the time for me. I’ve been trying to do a Wicked + Divine Reread and I’ve only managed the first volume so far. Need to get back to that!
I hope you enjoy all of them – I can only vouch for the brilliant Not Even Bones which I thought was fantastic.
I’m really looking forward to most of these but I’m especially looking forward to Trail of Lightning.
It sounds like you’ve gotten your hands on some really fantastic books! I was the same way with Trail of Lightning- once I finished it, I knew it was definitely on my to-buy list. Hope everything you haven’t read yet winds up being fantastic!
Great haul! I cannot wait to read Bloodwitch! I love that series. I have the first volume of Monstress but haven’t gotten around to reading it yet. I can’t wait to see your thoughts on Girls of Paper and Fire. I’m intrigued by it. Happy reading!
This is such a good haul 🙂 I hope you love all of these.
I’ve heard nothing but great things about Not Even Bones too. It sounds soo crazy!
I hope you love Bloodwitch! ❤
That’s some great self control! I also haven’t purchased too many. I did do the boxed day on book outlet last week. It was because one of my husband’s favorite series was on there. So, it’s all his fault. haha. There are soo many books that I want to pre-order too. Definitely do a post!
Maybe I’ve confused myself, but I thought you already owned, read, and reviewed Blanca & Roja?
Also, it just occurred to me that I have no clue what you do what your days, Alicia. Do you work or go to school or stay home for x reasons?
One of my reading goals was to read books that I already own before I go and buy new books. That lasted like a week, LoL. So I can totally relate.
I haven’t heard of any of these books before, but they seem interesting.
Still reading To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han. Close to page 200. I am like the slowest reader, I haven’t been reading every day recently. Hopefully will finish it within this month.
I still really want to read Not Even Bones. I need to do that this year. I’m glad that you really liked it. I haven’t read the Monstress graphic novels but I want to!!
Nice haul! I’m actually hoping to start Truthwitch this month.
It’s good to know that you enjoyed Not Even Bones. I’ve been eyeing that one isnce I saw it in the bookstore. Unmarriageable also looks interesting 🙂
You only bought six books in three months? You must tell me your secret Alicia!
What a great haul. I keep meaning to read One of Us and even checked it out from the library but never got around to it. You know, until I saw it here, I didn’t connect it with the other book by him. I’ve always been curious about it as well.
Amazing haul! 😀 I need to buy a copy of Not Even Bones before the sequel is released. I read it as an ARC from Netgalley, so I need to own it since I loved it so much!
This is such an amazing haul! I loved Blanca & Roja, and I’m so excited to read Unmarriageable and Girls of Paper and Fire! I hope you love all of these ❤️
I need to tone back my book purchasing so badly… I’m running out of room in our apartment!
Erica | Erica Robyn Reads</a
Great haul! So many great books. Jade City looks so great. I need to get to that too.