Top Ten Tuesday is an original blog meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. and is currently being hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week’s topic is “Longest Books I’ve Ever Read.” I feel like I don’t pick up as many big books as I used to and I think being a book blogger is partially to blame for this. It’s hard to justify spending a week or two on one book when there are so many books to get to. Here are ten of the longest books I’ve read according to Goodreads. To ensure some variation, I limited myself to mentioning only one book in the same series. Example, several HP books would make this list, but I’m only listing Order of the Phoenix since it’s the longest. Covers are linked to Goodreads.
1. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke – Number of Pages: 1,056 – This book was so long that I literally paused in the middle of it, read another book, and then returned to finish it. Still impressed that I read this gigantic book.
2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling – Number of Pages: 870 – This and Prisoner of Azkaban are my favorite HP books. Pretty sure I got through this in only a few days. I didn’t need sleep back then.
3. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon – Number of Pages: 850 – I did a buddy read for this one and thankful I did because I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have been able to get through it otherwise. It wasn’t a bad book, just wasn’t really for me.
4. Winter by Marissa Meyer – Number of Pages: 827 – I’m surprised to find this one on the list, but yes, it was a big book. I wish I remembered it more vividly.
5. Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke – Number of Pages: 699 – I do remember how big this one was because I took the whole series with me when I spent some time overseas and it wasn’t the best idea when I had to pack up and come back.
6. To Darkness Fled by Jill Williamson – Number of Pages: 681 – I read this series years and years ago. Don’t remember much, but they are all paperback, thick, and heavy. Couldn’t take them anywhere.
7. Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas – Number of Pages: 648 – I always felt that SJM’s books never really needed to be as long as they were. Is that just me?
8. Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick – Number of Pages: 640 – I almost didn’t put this one on my list because this novel includes illustrations, but hey, those count too.
9. A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab – Number of Pages: 624 – This is one of those big books that I loved partially because it was so long. It meant I got to spend more time with these particular characters.
10. Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier – Number of Pages: 608 – I’m so glad this one made it onto my list. I love Juliet Marillier’s books and this one is one of my favorites. I should totally reread this one soon.
What’s the longest book you’ve ever read? Have you picked any of these up? Let me know in the comments and be sure to leave me a link to your own TTT post, so I can visit.