This post is a little late because I couldn’t quite fit it in with all my June posts. I…uh, kind of accumulated a lot of books during the last three months. I was lucky enough to win a few giveaways, including a major one from Sourcebooks Fire during a Twitter chat. I’m still a little shocked. It was my birthday in May, so many of these are from gift cards I received and I splurged on a couple for myself because I deserved it. I only caved once when it came to Book Outlet and I think this might be the only time I purchase from them this year. I’m not foolish enough to make promises though. All the new books have finally pushed me to do a book unhaul because without one, I would be running out of room real fast. Let’s get to the books.
Preorders and New Releases:
1. Dread Nation by Justina Ireland – This is one of my favorite books of the year. It’s also one of the first 2018 books I preorder, having done so way back in December. It lived up to all my expectations and then some.
2. Undead Girl Gang by Lily Anderson – Another one of my highly anticipated reads of the year. I was lucky enough to read an eARC of this one and then went and bought it after it came out. Anderson deserves to be a more popular author.
3. The Way You Make Me Feel by Maurene Goo – Another cute Goo novel is in the world and I’m so grateful for it. I loved that Clara was so different than Goo’s previous protagonist.
4. Monday’s Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson – Another preorder that I’ve been wanting and dreaming about since I finished Jackson’s debut Allegedly last year. This one was so powerful and so good.
5. From Twinkle, With Love by Sandhya Menon – I haven’t had a chance to read this one, but it sounds so adorable and I am really looking forward to it.
6. Bruja Born by Zoraida Córdova – I read an ARC of this one and ended up loving it, so had to preorder a copy for myself.
Book Outlet Purchase:
7. The Dark Days Pact by Alison Goodman – The ending to this one just about gutted me. I’ve really been enjoying this historical fantasy and am anxious for the final book to be released later this year.
8. Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust – I’ve heard so many wonderful things about the writing in this one, so when I saw it on Book Outlet, I had to get it.
9. American Street by Ibi Zoboi – This is one of my favorite 2017 debuts. I’ve wanted to own this one for a while and now it can keep Zoboi’s upcoming novel Pride company once I get my hands on it.
10. You Bring the Distant Near by Mitali Perkins – I’ve been recommended this book several times and am excited that I now own it. Now I need to find time to read it.
11. Song of the Current by Sarah Tolcser – Another really good 2017 debut that I’m really glad I have on my shelf.
12. How to Keep a Boy From Kissing You by Tara Eglington – This is one of those books I’ve been curious about, but never took steps to read. Saw it on Book Outlet and said what the heck?
13. Duels & Deception by Cindy Anstey – I love the premises of this author’s books, but always feel they leave something to be desired. At yet here I am, coming back for more.
14. Trouble Makes a Comeback by Stephanie Tromly – Wasn’t quite as in love with this sequel compared to the first, but still enjoyed it overall.
Happy Birthday to Me Books:
15. Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood by Marjorie M. Liu and Sana Takeda – My birthday was in May and so I took a couple of trips to B&N to celebrate myself. I bought this second volume of Monstress and I just love love love this graphic novel series so much.
16. Peluda by Melissa Lozada-Oliva – I’m not a big poetry reader, but this woman’s poetry just gets right under my skin. If you haven’t heard of her, check her out above, reading from this collection.
The I-Just-Couldn’t-Resist Purchases:
17. The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan – I’ve been wanted this one ever since I read several passages from it. Haven’t read it yet, but am pretty sure I’m going to fall in love.
18. Avenged by Amy Tintera – I was pleasantly surprised by Ruined, the first book in this series, and there was a really good deal on this one, so…yeah.
19. Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova – I actually only have an ARC of this book before buying this one. Another great deal and it features one of my favorite covers ever.
20. These Vengeful Souls by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas – Renewed my interest in this series, so had to go out and buy the final book. It was under $10, okay?
21. Daughter of the Siren Queen by Tricia Levenseller – I got this one as part of a B&N deal and heard that it’s even more fun than the first.
22. Listen to Your Heart by Kasie West – Kasie West has yet to write a contemporary book that I haven’t bought.
Sourcebooks Fire Giveaway:
I took part in a promotional Twitter chat for Sourcebooks Fire‘s Furyborn release by Claire Legrand and never imagined I would be one of the winners of this incredibly generous giveaway. I’m still trying to wrap my brain around it. I got all these books and a map + swag for Furyborn, plus a gift certificate to Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore.
25. – 34. This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp, Before I Let Go by Marieke Nijkamp, The Heart Forger by Rin Chupeco (I’m so excited for this one!), As You Wish by Chelsea Sedoti, You Will Be Mine by Natasha Preston, Out of Left Field by Kris Hui Lee, Now a Major Motion Picture by Cori McCarthy, Coming Up for Air by Miranda Kenneally, Follow Me Back by A.V. Geiger, Ruin of Stars by Linsey Miller.
35. Beneath the Citadel by Destiny Soria – And last but not least, I got in my possession an ARC of Destiny Soria’s upcoming novel Beneath the Citadel. I am so stoked for this book because I loved her debut Iron Cast. This also happens to be the first ARC a publisher has ever sent me and I about fainted in shock when it arrived.