Top Ten Tuesday is an original blog meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is “Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2017.” For this week’s list, I will be excluding 2017 debut authors since it’s implied that they are new to me. Instead, this list will include authors I’ve been meaning to read for a good long while and finally got to in 2017 as well as those whose books blew me away and I regret not reading sooner. Covers are linked to Goodreads.
1. N.K. Jemisin – If you’re looking for a fantasy with a lot of depth, this is the author to pick up.
2. Lily Anderson – There is so much intelligence and wit in The Only Thing Worse Than You Is Me that when I finished reading it, I immediately preordered her second novel.
3. Adam Silvera – I think my heart is still broken from reading More Happy Than Not. I recommend Adam Silvera to anyone who wants to be moved by a book. Prepare yourself emotionally, Silver takes no prisoners.
4. Zen Cho – I need more charming fantasies like Zen Cho’s Sorcerer to the Crown. So thankful we’re getting a sequel.
5. Silvia Moreno-Garcia – I can’t wait to pick up more books by this author. I was so impressed with her world-building in Certain Dark Things.
6. Hillary Monahan – The Hollow Girl was an amazing novel that makes me regret having slept on this author.
7. Benjamin Alire Sáenz – It took me so long to pick up this beauty of a novel. It’s the kind of book I could see myself rereading every year.
8. G. Willow Wilson (Illustrator: Adrian Alphona) – One of my first graphic novels, Ms. Marvel is such a fun read. I ended up reading four volumes of this one this year, then showed some self-restraint.
9. Marjorie M. Lui and Sana Takeda (Illustrator) – Speaking of graphic novels, Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening is my favorite so far. I gush when it comes to the illustrations and story.
10. Kathryn Ormsbee – Loved Tash and her entire world. I haven’t heard a lot about this author, but will now be paying attention.
Are you a fan of any of these authors? Which new-to-me author would you recommend to everyone? Let me know in the comments and be sure leave a link to your own TTT post, so I can visit.