Top Ten Tuesday is an original blog meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is “Ten Books I Struggled to Get Into But Ended Up Loving or Ten Books That Were A Chore To Get Through or Ten Books I’ve Most Recently Put Down (the theme is…books you had a hard time with…tweak it how ever you need).” This week I’m going to share some popular titles that I struggled to get through. I ended up not loving any of these titles and had a number of issues with each. Apologies if any of these are your favorites. Covers are linked to Goodreads.
1. A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro – Felt like I was reading a book narrated by a guy infatuated with the idea of a girl rather than the girl herself.
2. The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis – Big fan of A Madness So Discreet, but this book just did not do it for me.
3. The Diviners by Libba Bray – It’s been a while, but I didn’t like the protagonist. Forever bitter because I love books that take place in the 20s and this one seemed made for me.
4. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi – Made me hate insta-love even more.
5. The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon – Was not in love with the world or characters.
6. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin – I can’t decide if I dislike Mara or Noah more.
7. Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes – You lost me with the creepy incest storyline.
8. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick – Pushy love-interest, clueless protagonist, years later, still regretting the money I spent on it.
9. My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick – Probably the one book on this list I wish I felt differently about. More interesting minor characters than the protagonist.
10. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness – Can’t remember why I didn’t like this one, but I’m pretty sure it had a lot to do with the love story.
Tell me I’m not the only one who struggled with these novels. What’s a popular novel that you ended up not enjoying? Let me know in the comments and be sure leave a link to your own TTT post, so I can visit.