Top Ten Tuesday is an original blog meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is “Thanksgiving freebie — tell us what you are thankful for! Books you are thankful for!” This is going to be a shout-out post to the little, yet awesome things in a book lover’s life. Click on any image below to enlarge. And a huge Happy Thanksgiving to all those who celebrate!!!
1. Bookmarks – I don’t have a huge collection of bookmarks, but I do have a couple that I just really love and how can anyone say no to those beautiful Book Depository ones they give you?
2. Author Dedications – I know I can’t be the only one who likes to read a book’s dedication before starting a book. C.S. Lewis’s dedication to his goddaughter in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe remains my favorite.
3. Book Swag – I tend to preorder quite a few books throughout the year. It’s nice to get a little something extra when preordering a book.
4. Post-Its – If you’re like me, you don’t like writing in your books, but sometimes it becomes necessary to make a note and this is where post-its come to the rescue. Sometimes I go a little overboard.
5. Little Extras on Hardbacks – I also have this thing where I like to take off the dust jacket to see if there’s any extra special something on the book itself. Sometimes it’s a simple as a little symbol and sometimes it’s lovely like this quote on the hardcover of Destiny Soria’s Iron Cast.
6. Maps – I love maps. I find myself flipping back to a book’s map while reading because it help to picture the world the author has created. I’m all for pushing for maps to be included in every fantasy novel.
7. Pronunciation Guide – Speaking of fantasy novels…Why do authors insist on coming up with the most ridiculous names? It can be a bit much, especially when you have no idea how to pronounce the characters’ names, which is why I love it when a pronunciation guide is included in a novel where I am having trouble with names.
8. Deckled Edges – I kind of dig deckled edges. It gives off this vintage vibe which I love. The only problem is when you are trying to flip through the pages, looking for a specific passage and it becomes impossible.
9. Back-To-School Sales – If you’re like me, you like to keep a review notebook, are in love with colored pens for your blogging planner, and need all the post-it colors in the world. This can get expensive, but thankfully every July/August stores make all these available at a good price when parents are shopping for back-to-school supplies.
10. Matching Spines – Is there any greater feeling than when a series is complete and you line up the spines and they just look so perfect right next to each other?
Do you read book dedications (do you have a favorite)? Do you ever struggle with characters’ names? How to you feel about deckled edges? Let’s talk in the comments and be sure leave a link to your own TTT post, so I can visit.