Top Ten Tuesday is an original blog meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is “All About The Villains.” Ah, villains, you love them, you hate them. Sometimes they make you consider joining the dark side and other times you just want to throttle them. This week I’m listing five villains I love and five I just plain hate. Covers are linked to Goodreads.
Villains I Love:
1. Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling – I really should hate this evil Voldemort follower. I know I’m never going to get over what happened in the fifth book, but Bellatrix is just so awesome…in an evil I’ve-been-trapped-in-Azkaban-for-years-and-I-worship-the-ground-Voldemort-walks-on kind of way.
2. Manon Blackbeak from Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas – Speaking of evil witches, I have a love affair with Manon from the Throne of Glass series and even though I’ve stopped reading the books for various reasons, Manon will always hold a special place in my heart.
3. The Dane twins from A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab – I love these two so much. They are so twisted and evil. And yet I find them to be such interesting characters.
4. The Woods from Uprooted by Naomi Novik – I love when you come across an unconventional villain and in Uprooted, the antagonist is the Woods. With the power to possess people, this is one of the most unsettling villains I’ve come across.
5. The Grey Man from The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater – Can it be? I’ve fallen in love with a hit man? I don’t know how Stiefvater does it, but her “bad guys” are all so interesting and before you know it, you end up kind of loving them.
Villains I Just Hate:
6. Umbridge from Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling – Ugh, Umbridge. No explanation needed here.
7. Queen Levana from the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer – I loved that Meyer wrote Fairest because before I read it, I didn’t feel that I knew who Levana really was as a character and now I’m free to be utterly terrified by her.
8. Billy Dent from Jasper Dent series by Barry Lyga – I’ve read my fair share of serial killer novels and I can confidently say that Billy Dent is probably the one serial killer I hate the most.
9. Mayor Prentiss from the Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness – It’s been years since I read this series, but this man really got under my skin and after what he did in the second book to a character I ended up kind of liking, I just can’t with this man.
10. Lady Catherine de Bourgh from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – Can we call her a villain? Maybe Wickham would be better in this role. Regardless, this woman is too much. She’s so judgmental and arrogant, I just want to scream.
What are your thoughts on these villains? Are there villains you can’t help but love? Which literary villain do you hate the most? Let me know in the comments and be sure leave a link to your own TTT post, so I can visit.
Giveaway Alert: If you haven’t entered my giveaway (US only) for an ARC of One Was Lost by Natalie D. Richards, you can do so here.