Top Ten Tuesday is an original blog meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is “Top Ten ALL TIME Favorite Books Of X Genre.” This list could have been so easy for me. I could just go with fantasy and list all my favorite fantasy books, but I wanted to mix things up this week. For the past few months, I’ve been dipping my toes into the contemporary genre, a genre I thought I’d lost my love for. It turns out, I’ve kind of been adoring the novels I’ve picked up. So in honor of me exploring a different genre, this week I’m listing my favorite reads from the contemporary genre. Covers are linked to Goodreads.
1. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han – I wasn’t a big fan of the sequel to this one, but it didn’t make me like this first installment any less. I really appreciated how much time was spent on the family aspect of this contemporary book. My review can be found here.
2. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta – Melina Marchetta is such a talented writer, not only does she tackle contemporary fiction but also fantasy. This is my first Marchetta novel and one of the first YA books I read, so it holds a special place in my heart.
3. Flipped by Wendelin Ban Draanen – I’ve mentioned this book in the past, but it is all kinds of adorable. I love the character development in this MG read and if you haven’t had a chance to see the movie adaptation, I highly recommend it.
4. Shug by Jenny Han – This will probably always be my favorite Jenny Han novel. Also a MG read, Shug is the coming-of-age story of Annemarie Wilcox and I cannot count the number of times my heart broke for this girl while reading it.
5. Undercover by Beth Kephart – Love this short little novel. A retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac, Elisa is satisfied with helping other students write love letters to their crushes until she finds herself wanting more. My review can be found here.
6. Death, Dickinson, and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia by Jenny Torres Sanchez – Read this book! I loved this one so much and I think it’s such a shame that more people haven’t read it. Please add it to your TBR now! My review can be found here.
7. The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson – There are so many things I loved about this contemporary read. Family, friendship, and a new romance are all important aspects in this one. My review can be found here.
8. Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon – I was really impressed by this debut novel and oh my goodness, have you seen the photos from the movie? I’m really stoked for Yoon’s second novel being released later this year. My review can be found here.
9. The Memory of Light by Francisco X. Stork – This one was a really powerful read and I really appreciated a novel that focused on Latinx characters. My review can be found here.
10. On the Fence by Kasie West – Super cute contemporary read. This is my favorite Kasie West book and I highly recommend it. My review can be found here.
Do you have a favorite contemporary novel? Have you had the pleasure of reading any of the books on my list? Let me know in the comments and be sure leave a link to your own TTT post, so I can visit.