Top Ten Tuesday is an original blog meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is “Top Ten Things Books Have Made Me Want To Do or Learn About After Reading Them.” I wasn’t sure how I wanted to approach this week’s topic after sitting down and trying to come up with ten different things to include (totally failed). I ended up coming up with the silliest things like sword fighting and time-travel. So to put a little twist on this week’s topic, I’m listing ten occupations I wouldn’t mind having if I was a character in a novel (sorry for the long title), inspired of course by some of my favorite reads. Covers are linked to Goodreads.
1. Queen – Who wants to be a princess when you can be a queen? I think I could probably pull off being queen, like Elisa in The Girl of Fire and Thorns, especially if the position includes having a stunning Captain of the Guard. Also, I’m rather fond of the phrase “Off with his head”, maybe I’d be an evil queen instead…
2. Assassin – I love assassins. I don’t know why I love assassins so much, but I do. I’m especially fond of female assassins, so like Ismae Rienne (have I told you how much I love Ismae?) in Grave Mercy, maybe I’d join a convent devoted to the God of Death and get rid of some bad guys.
3. Thief – Because living a little on the wild side makes life worth living, right? And if I could join a ragtag group of misfits like those in Six of Crows, it would be pretty awesome. Can’t decide if I’d rather be like Inej or Kaz…
4. Journalist – Yes, I also wouldn’t mind a more quiet existence if you could call what secrets Kami and her friends unearth in Unspoken quiet.
5. Pirate – I’ve never been particularly drawn to pirates, you won’t find me singing about rum or booty, but I loved Heidi Heilig’s version of pirates in The Girl from Everywhere. There’s a crew I wouldn’t mind joining.
6. Witch – I’ve always found witches so interesting and while I’d probably say the witches in HP are my favorite, I think I’d go for a more mysterious vibe like the witches in Salt & Storm.
7. Magician – No, this is not the same thing as a witch, how dare you suggest a thing! I grew very fond of paper magic while reading The Paper Magician and I wouldn’t mind having a few paper pets running around. I’d probably have to teach my own dog not to chase them though.
8. Psychic – So The Raven Boys doesn’t feature a psychic as one of the main characters, but Maura, Persephone, and Calla are still really important to the story. I’d love to be a part of their world and live in a place like 300 Fox Way.
9. Spy – I’m very sneaky. I’m not gloating, it’s just a fact. Maybe because I’m not particularly tall (understatement, I’m pretty short) or the fact I move about quiet like a cat or that I’ve perfected the art of people watching, but I’m fairly confident that I’d make an awesome spy. Of course, I’d need to attend the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women in order to receive the proper training, which I’m totally on board for.
10. Zombie Hunter – Alas, zombies do not exist, but if I ever found myself in an apocalypse novel with the undead, I’d want to be a zombie hunter. Maybe it’s the promise of wielding a katana, but taking out zombies (in a very respectful way, of course) sounds like something I could definitely enjoy (but not too much) doing.
What is your dream fictional occupation? Do you have a favorite book that features one of my occupations of choice? Let me know in the comments and be sure leave a link to your own TTT post, so I can visit.