Well, I haven’t done one of these in ages. As you may have known, I decided to do away with monthly book haul posts in the new year because I felt that they encouraged a whole lot of book buying. I wrote a post about why these monthly hauls we’re not a good idea for me, as someone who is trying to curb her book spending. Instead, this year, I am going to post book hauls every three months, so I can still show off what books I’ve bought and compare numbers with last year to show everyone that I really do have some shelf-control, I mean self-control.
So how have I been doing so far this year? I’ve purchased only seven books in 2016 and won one preorder in February. Last year by this time I had purchase 19 books. I’m doing so well and right now I’m going to resist the temptation to buy a book in celebration (I’m a work in progress). Titles are linked to my reviews if applicable. Click on any image to enlarge.
1. Truthwitch by Susan Dennard – Hype has a way of zapping my enthusiasm for new releases and as it were, I was not expecting to enjoy Truthwitch. But surprise, it turned out to be really good and so I bought myself a copy.
2. A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab – Of course I bought this second book in the Shades of Magic series. Schwab shows once again what a brilliant writer she is and I for one cannot wait for the final book.
3. The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig – Debut novels are tricky things. You really never know what you’re going to get if you decide to preorder one. Thankfully this one turned out to be quite good. I’m always nervous about time travel novels, but this one was awesome.
4. The Winner’s Kiss by Marie Rutkoski – I would give my right hand for this book. This series has been just a crazy emotional experience. I’m currently reading this one and am taking my time because I don’t want to say goodbye and also I’m freakin’ scared of what the author might do. Also, let’s take a moment to thank the publisher for listening to their readers when we found out they were going to change the cover for this final book. I am so happy they didn’t because look at how pretty they all look together…
5. Assassin’s Heart by Sarah Ahiers – Remember when I said that preordering debuts can be tricky? This one was a bit of a letdown. Assassin books are something I really enjoy (maybe in my former life…?), but I was expecting a lot more than what I got here.
6. Wolf By Wolf by Ryan Graudin – This book is the best!!!!!!! I was beside myself when I finished my library copy that I quickly hopped on over to Amazon and bought myself this book. I’m ready to reread it at this very moment, I’m so in love.
7. Stars Above by Marissa Meyer – Nothing says Happy Valentine’s Day like a bookish gift to oneself because shouldn’t everyone get a little something even if they may not be romantically involved with anyone? Some of you may say that’s just an excuse to buy myself a book. And you’re absolutely right.
8. Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton – Did you know this was my first five-star read of 2016? I keep repeating this but I want to make sure the people in the back hear too. I actually won this one through a Twitter giveaway hosted by Reviews from a Bookworm. I probably would have bought it anyway because of how amazing it sounded.
What books have you purchased so far this year? Are you also trying to curb your book spending? Have you had any success (this is a nonjudgmental place)? What is your favorite book purchase so far in 2016? Let me know in the comments!